One of the best things about diamonds is their durability and how they maintain their brilliance over time. They are the hardest substance on earth, and can only be scratched by another diamond. Even so, diamonds aren’t indestructible and can be damaged by a hard enough hit. More likely, they can become loose or lost in a weakened setting. While you’re not likely to physically damage your diamond, keep in mind that it is possible.
Just as with all jewelry, the safest cleaning methods also tend to be the easiest. Avoid harsh chemicals that could affect the diamond’s brilliance. Warm water, mild dish soap and soft brushes are all you need to keep your diamond in great condition. Be sure to handle your diamond carefully so you don’t lose it. Always store your jewelry securely when you aren’t wearing it to ensure it isn’t misplaced.
Tips for best diamond care
- Avoid contact with other diamonds. A diamond is the only thing that can scratch another diamond.
- Wear your diamond jewelry with care. Be aware of what you and your diamond is exposed to when wearing it.
- Store your diamond jewelry carefully. The best storage for diamond jewelry is in a padded box or soft bags. Ensure it is kept separate from other jewelry.
- Clean your diamond regularly and safely. You can clean a diamond by wiping it with a lint-free cloth or with warm water, mild soap, and a soft toothbrush. Alternatively, you can dip it briefly in a commercial cleaning solution.
- Avoid touching your diamond directly. This isn’t to say you can never touch your diamond directly, just to do so sparingly. Your hands have oils that could potentially affect the brilliance over time.
- Have your jewelry periodically examined by a professional. Diamond experts will help ensure the diamond is being cleaned effectively, examine its setting to ensure security, and help maintain its physical integrity and brilliance over time.
Follow these tips and your diamond will continue to shine. If you want your diamond to be examined for any damage, check on your mounting, or get further advice, contact RH Bockstruck today.